Android is a great platform and everybody is looking forward to test it or use it somehow. There is an online project that is porting Android to X86 based system. Right now, the recent news says that Android 3.2 HoneyComb and Android 4.0 IceCream Sandwich can also be downloaded for installing on PC. In this tutorial I will be telling you every step or do how required for installing Android on PC and testing it on Virtual Box a, freely available virtualization software.
Though, we have discussed another method of checking Android at your PC, this method is more advanced and upgraded as it can give you the complete experience of an Android OS within from your PC or Laptop.
Google has open sourced Android Operating system and that’s why developers can change the source code to port the Android OS to X86 based PC. Virtual Box provides a safe platform to test the Android without disturbing the setup of your Windows PC. Let’s go ahead and install VirtualBox and run Android on it.
How to install or Run Live Android on Virtual Box Machine on Windows:
- You will need to download Virtual Box here. And Download the version of Android you want to test from here. You can download OSX86 version of Android 3.2 HoneyComb and Android 4.0 IceCream Sandwich from the provided link. The file will be a .iso disk image ready to burn on CD or you can keep the .iso file to install on Virtual Box.
- Once you download the Virtual Box, create a Virtual Machine by clicking the New button on the top header area of open Virtual Box App. You can name it as Android and choose the OS type as other and version too as other.
- Now, you will need to setup different properties of Virtual machine. Set the RAM to atleast 1GB so that you can run games etc on the virtual machine. Create a Virtual disk space at least 2GB. Once created save the virtual machine.
- Now, right-Click the Virtual machine and click start. This will automatically pop up a First Run Wizard. You can choose the select installation Media and go ahead. Now Browser to the Android ISO file we have downloaded.
- You can choose to install the Android-X86 on Virtual hard disk. Also, there is a great option to run the Android Live without installing. Choose the best for you and go ahead.
- Once you finish installing, restart the virtual PC. You’ll get the Android running on your PC.
This makes you ready to use the Android as an operating system. Beside that you can use keyboard, music speakers, and your LAN/Wi-Fi internet connection. You would love using Android on PC, if you like the interface or the usability, you can buy an Android phone. Android is a getting popular and has captured a big chunk of smartphone market(43% according to recent Study). Also, you can install Android 4.0 on a netbook and keep it as a permanent Netbook OS.
Are you still thinking about how to test android on your PC? Check this tutorial out and let me know your experiences.