USB flash drive is a very popular computer accessory used for mass transfer from computer to computer.Earlier I wrote about Windows XP installation from USB flash drive. Today I am writing another interesting utility of USB flash drive.
Predator, a tiny windows application which makes your USB flash drive more effective and interesting. Using Predator and your USB flash drive you can lock your PC/Laptop.The PC will automatically locked down when you remove the flash drive from it even if you windows session will still running.
How to install Predator in your computer
- Download Predator free edition InstallPredator.exe and Install it in your PC.
- After installing run the application from Windows program menu or the desktop shortcut icon.
- You will get a message box like this
- Insert your USB flash drive and click OK to continue.
- Now the preference window will appear. Here you can set the screen darkness,startup mode,and other options by checking in the checkboxes.
- In the Change Password field put your new password when you are configuring 1st time.
- Select the Drive letter in your computer which indicates the USB drive of your computer.
- Now press “Create Key” button and it will successfully create the key file in your USB flash drive.
- Now click OK.
Check in the system tray.If the Predator icon is blinking then everything you have done is OK an ready to lock your PC.
How does it work
- Predator locks your Pc when you remove your USB flash drive even if your widows session is still running.It will darken your screen and the key board and mouse will become inactive.
- When you return back then just insert your USB flash drive and the windows will be automatically unlocked.
- If any body try to access your computer in your absence then you can see there activity in the log file.You can set the alarm so that it will sound a noise if any body try to access your computer when it is locked.
- Predator use the USB drive as an access control device.It does not perform any type of modification in the existing data in you flash drive.
- Predator changes the security codes record in your flash drive frequently.If any intruder copies your USB security stick it will not work because in the same time the code of your own stick will change itself automatically.
- The Task Manager is disabled by Predator when you remove the USB flash drive.So any body can’t terminate any process in your Windows pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del.
- If you have lost your USB drive then you can unlock your PC with the password you set in the time of starting the software first time.
- If want to replicate the logs with your twitter account then you have to allow on your PC to remotely monitor all access-control activity.(This is available in the new Beta Version 1.3.3. Download InstallPredatorBeta.exe.
If you face any problem then please contact with us leaving you comment in the comment section.